3.12.2008

r.i.p. gary bialke

my cousin, painter/sculptor/character designer gary bialke, died on march 2nd, 2008. i'd never met him, but i had seen his work, and i was inspired by it. recently, my brother e-mailed me a link to sort of an in memoriam page for gary on animateclay.com. it contains links to some of his work at will vinton studios in portland, samples of which i've posted below.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

gary also did a lot of work on the california raisins, and apparently did much of the design for the "speed demon" part of the michael jackson moonwalker video, in which michael jackson turns into a giant claymation rabbit to escape from the giant claymation paparazzi. the dance-off at the end is pretty awesome / adorable.

4 comments:

Tony Merrithew said...

He was an amazing guy. I knew him well.

Unknown said...

our family is weird. but if you ever want to see some more stuff, we've got some posters he made for bro-bro back in the childhood day, and some wee airbrushed t-shirts (in my cedar chest).

r8r said...

A remarkable guy. I'm glad I knew him.

Jessixa Bagley said...

I just saw this post. This is so sad to hear. I'm so sorry that Gary passed away. I used to work with him back in 2000 at Flying Rhino in Portland. He was such a talented illustrator and sculptor. I Always looked up to him artistically.