1.20.2012

The Amazing Lew Zealand

Hey, all. Wow! Three weeks and I'm already bad about keeping this up. Sorry if you're checking on it frequently. I'm not, evidently.
I'm still trying to get my footing here in Nelson. It's interesting how, when I had planned this all out, I sort of expected to get off the plane, land a good job, and resume life as normal - normal in this case being an approximation of life in Minneapolis. It's taking a bit longer than that.
First off, as a disclaimer, I'd like to say that I'm unaccustomed to writing about myself. Or, more specifically, writing about myself in a way that details the day-to-day stuff. In a way, when one writes, one is always writing about oneself. Anyway, I find it hard to establish tone sometimes, as my thoughts on the events of my life tend to vary; I'm a waffler when it comes to describing the merits of any given day of my life, and I can sound quite unimpressed at times when I'm hitting the roof with joy. I think I've been hesitating to write out of apprehension that what I say - or the way in which I put it down - will cause worry. Uh, basically, I'm having a blast, so don't worry when I tell you that:
I haven't found a job, which is the main stressor in my life. I've had one interview for the several jobs to which I've applied, and had a trial run for same this afternoon. It's a barista position at Zumo, my favorite Nelson coffee shop. I went in about an hour ago and made some coffees for the manager. She seemed very nice, but was cryptic about her thoughts on my efforts. I'm aware that I made what looked like some rookie mistakes when I was messing around behind the bar pulling shots, but the drink that I presented at the end was a good one. I think. She said they'll be calling back some of the more promising candidates for some actual trial time, making coffee for customers and working the register and things. I left unsure of whether to expect a call. As Corina's pointed out, if they're interested, great; if they're not, well, there are plenty of other jobs.
I'm glad that I've moved to a new place well prepared. It's occurred to me that I've never moved anywhere outside of the Twin Cities until this point, so it stands to reason that there's unexpected nervousness to be felt. I've enjoyed the time that I've been here, but I don't know whether I expected it to feel so different from the last time I was here. Then, I was on vacation, and on a generous budget, but I had my entire life in Minneapolis to return to. There are many things to do to keep oneself entertained in Nelson, but this doesn't feel like vacation, because it isn't. I'm not sure precisely when that hit me, but now that is has, the shift of mindset has really helped me. This is no dire situation, I just have to keep trying and keep applying.
And, of course, although I miss you all - and I really do, doubly so since I got to see so many of you over the holidays - I am with Corina, and that fills my heart. I'm not kidding, my lady is fantastic.
There's a whole bunch of everyday stuff that continues to blow me away, too. Did you know that there are places in the world where you can get up in the morning, have a cup of coffee, run a couple kilometers to the beach, on THE PACIFIC OCEAN, swim in it, run back home, shower, and have another cup of coffee? If you're unemployed, anyway, or a very early riser, and you have an hour and a half every morning to monkey around like that. (Did you also know that the ocean can be very cold in the morning?) I've been trying to do this about three times a week, and it makes my entire day better. I'm out and about exploring a little, and that feels good. I'm feeling a small but growing sense of propriety in this place, and that's vital for adaptation.
You might also be interested to know that the sun here is very bright, and very hot, and in the summertime it sticks around for a long time. The sun is A Thing, and demands consideration: despite all the sunblock with which I coat myself daily, my freckles are starting to connect. I wake up around eight, when the sun hits the bedroom window, and owing also to Corina's schedule, usually go to bed shortly after the sun sets. Getting exercise and closing the day well-sunned leaves me nicely tired.
In short, I've been leading a very charmed life these past three weeks. I'd like some work, please, to shake that up a bit, but I can't really complain about much of anything. I've started a personal project, which has kept my mind occupied, and I've already read several books, but there's something about working for others - and not just the pay, although that grants a sense of accomplishment - that revitalizes me more than most things.
I hope all of you are well. I understand that the weather in Minneapolis has finally become January-standard horrendous, so my sympathy lies with all of ya. Feel free to write me if you like! I've heard from lots of you, and I appreciate it. Stay warm, Northern Hemispherers.

2 comments:

W said...

Coz!!!! It sounds like you are doing well. The pictures are beautiful, so green. Thank you for sharing your adventures with us all. We all miss you back here. Keep writing and sharing with us. Take care. Good job on the running!

noel said...

G! Thanks, homie. Talk to my sister and come out to visit us.