2.07.2012

Notes From the Shire

Hi, everybody! I think, given the number of posts I've made to this blog in the last five weeks, and the obviously large gaps between the timestamps on said posts, that a greater effort must be made at this endeavor. That's alright. I could say I've been too busy, but honestly I've just been having too much fun. Also, I've drifted into a period of (perhaps deserved) laziness.
Summer is in full effect here. The weekend was a bit overcast, but nothing to hamper most outdoor activities. Other than those couple days, though, I'm finding that Nelson lives up to its reputation as the city with New Zealand's most sunshine hours.
It was great to spend the weekend with Corina's friends and family. Yesterday was the Waitangi Day holiday, and we went for a trip to the beach with Damien, Celia, and Ozzy, followed by a picnic. Then Corina and I deep-cleaned some of the house and had fish tacos for dinner. All told, it was a wonderful end to the weekend.
It's basically always beautiful here, and although the sun is dangerously bright - sunscreen is obligatory for white white men like me - it's cool in the shade at most times. I've spent lots of time outside, jogging in the mornings, and venturing around in the afternoon.
Last week, Corina and I walked down to the ports, and I was excited to see all of the boats moored there. There were some larger fishing boats, some sizable catamarans and trimarans, but also some sailboats not much larger than Dad's Cape Dory back home. I think it'd be a blast to go out for a ride on one of those, and I think he'd feel the same. Corina also took me on a walk along the river away from the ocean, up into the Maitai Valley. It was beautiful! There are so many wonderful things to see in Nelson, and as it turns out, a change of scenery is usually within walking distance.
I've still got some time to putter around and look at stuff. In just under two weeks, though, I start my job at the Morrison St. Cafe in town. I'm very excited about this; after having applied to a few jobs in which I had little real interest, and failing to attain them, it feels great to have been hired at a place I enjoy. I'm not sold on the idea of full-time service work, but that's alright. It's a great spot, and everyone there seems very welcoming.
I also recently completed a bit of light design work for a cafe here, and I've got some small stuff brewing back home. Overall, things are on the up-and-up.
I began to feel well settled for the first time last week, and the feeling is growing. I think establishing the basics of life in a new place - job, bank account, new acquaintances - fill in the gaps and lead on this change in mood. And, as the constant, I am extremely happy to be with Corina.
I had a dream last night that we packed up and left in the morning. It made me feel very unhappy, which is a good sign. There's still a lot left for me to experience, and I continue to feel grateful for the opportunity to be here.
I'm learning, with Corina's help, to take it easy and just try to live well in a new place. She's done a very good job so far of pushing me along.
Hope you're all well. I understand that most of you are experiencing winter right now, and I apologize for gloating, but I would recommend being here, rather than there. Miss yas.

No comments: